The Petroleum Oil and Gas Corporation of South Africa (SOC) Limited (PetroSA) is the national oil company of South Africa and is registered as a commercial entity under South African law. PetroSA is a subsidiary of the Central Energy Fund (CEF), which is wholly owned by the State and reports to the Department of Energy.
The company holds a portfolio of assets that spans the petroleum value chain, with all operations run according to world-class safety and environmental standards. PetroSA was formed in 2002 upon the merger of Soekor E and P (Pty) Limited, Mossgas (Pty) Limited and parts of the Strategic Fuel Fund, another subsidiary of CEF.
The core business activities of PetroSA are:
• The exploration and production of oil and natural gas
• The participation in, and acquisition of, local as well as international upstream petroleum ventures
• The production of synthetic fuels from offshore gas at one of the world’s largest Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) refineries in Mossel Bay, South Africa
• The development of domestic refining and liquid fuels logistical infrastructure
• The marketing and trading of oil and petrochemicals.
PetroSA operates the FA-EM, South Coast gas fields as well as the Oribi and Oryx oil fields. The producing gas fields provide feedstock to the Mossel Bay GTL refinery.
Outside South Africa, the company has exploration acreage in Equatorial Guinea and Namibia.
PetroSA’s GTL refinery produces ultra-clean, low-sulphur, low-aromatic synthetic fuels and high-value products converted from natural methane-rich gas and condensate using a unique GTL Fischer Tröpsch technology.
Key commodities produced include unleaded petrol, kerosene (paraffin), diesel, propane, liquid oxygen and nitrogen, distillates, eco-fuels and alcohols. Its world-class synthetic fuels and petrochemicals are marketed internationally.
Our Vision 2020
Our Vision 2020 strategic objective is to become a fully integrated, commercially competitive national oil company, supplying at least 25% of South Africa’s liquid fuel needs by 2020.
We aim to achieve this by:
• Sustaining the Mossel Bay GTL refinery as a profitable operation and use it as a platform to sustain our company
• Growing our company into a significant industry player, while ensuring security of energy supply for the country
• Transforming the company, the sector and society
• Ensuring that the above are carried out in line with the highest safety, health, quality and environmental standards